Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe that I learned to make from my Mother, who learned to make from her Mother. It is a comfort food to all of us kids and now the grandchildren!!!
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, brown ground beef with onion, till there is no pink left in the beef and then add garlic for a few minutes to cook, then drain beef mixture.
- Return pan to heat and add the can of diced tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste and allow to heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add completely drained pasta and allow to blend for several minutes.
- Add cheese and stir until blended and melted.
- Note: We always had this with sliced bread and butter and either apple sauce with cinnamon or green beans with butter.
Made for Think Pink Cancer Awareness tag 2010 and I am very glad I did...what comfort food. I changed the recipe somewhat. This is what I did. I added some sliced mushrooms, chopped green pepper, some corn (I had left over), about a 1/4 tsp. oregano and some red pepper flakes (for some zing), and some tomato sauce. DH loved this and we have enough to take down to the beach for lunch today. Definately a keeper and will go into my Favorites 2010. Thank you diner524 for a wonderful recipe that I'm sure is good as written or with the additions. Served with a green salad with Creamy French Dressing#24655 by Sharon123 and French bread. P.S. This was wonderful the next day for lunch...I did add a little more tomato sauce while it was warming up. Definately a 5 star for dinner and for lunch the next day!
This was a blast from my past! :) Total comfort food & one of the recipes I requested most as a child. Made just as directed until I saw there wasn't much sauce in the pan so I threw in one frozen "ice" cube of tomato paste. That gave it just enough without altering the recipe. We really enjoyed this for dinner tonight. DH ate it with saltines & I ate it with buttered bread. Yummy! Thanks for posting your mom's recipe, diner! Made & enjoyed for Zaar Stars tag game. :)
This was pretty good, but I felt it was missing something. Not quite sure what though. It reminded me a lot of meals from my past -- great comfort food. I used bowtie pasta instead of macaroni, because I had a half a box that was dying to be used :)