Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I was given this Budapest Goulash from a friend of mine when we lived in British Columbia in the late 70's. It is easy to make and can feed a bunch of hungry garden helpers!
- 1 lb lean beef, cut in small cubes
- 1 lb veal, cut in small cubes
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 4 large chopped onions
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 cups tomatoes
- 2 cups unpeeled cubed potatoes
- Heat fat to brown meat with onion and garlic (I always add garlic last as to prevent burning).
- Heat tomatoes and pour over meat.
- Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Add potato cubes 1/2 hour before meat is done.
This was very easy and tasty! I added some green pepper and mushrooms. I also added a little extra paprika and caraway seeds. It made a very nice family meal.
I used this as a base recipe for something that ended up much different from the original. I added green bell pepper, two large mushrooms and a can of tomato soup, while substituting the veal for more beef. Worked out rather well!