Recipe by evelyn/athens
One of those really 'warming' meals. A bowl of this, either alone or on top of buttered noodles is comfort food to the max.
Top Review by Derf
We love good soup and this is one of the best we have had for a while. Fairly easy to make, lots of taste and nice and thick. I served it with your #71414 buttermilk biscuits. Great meal and we will certainly make it again, thanks for sharing. I froze the leftovers to take to work for lunches. Great payback!
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef, trimmed and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika (or to taste)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped fine
- 2 large potatoes, peeled,cut into ½ inch pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large kettle, cook bacon over moderate heat, stirring, until crisp, and transfer with a slotted spoon to a large bowl.
- Brown beef in small batches in bacon fat over high heat, transferring as it is browned to bowl.
- Reduce heat to moderate and add oil.
- Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until golden.
- Stir in paprika, caraway seeds and flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Whisk in vinegar and tomato paste and cook, whisking, 1 minute (it will be very thick).
- Stir in broth, water, salt, bell peppers, bacon and beef and bring to a boil, stirring.
- Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes.
- Add potatoes to soup and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Serve over buttered noodles or as a soup.