1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
One of those really 'warming' meals. A bowl of this, either alone or on top of buttered noodles is comfort food to the max.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs stewing beef, trimmed and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika (or to taste)
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped fine
- 2 large potatoes, peeled,cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1In a large kettle, cook bacon over moderate heat, stirring, until crisp, and transfer with a slotted spoon to a large bowl.
- 2Brown beef in small batches in bacon fat over high heat, transferring as it is browned to bowl.
- 3Reduce heat to moderate and add oil.
- 4Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until golden.
- 5Stir in paprika, caraway seeds and flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- 6Whisk in vinegar and tomato paste and cook, whisking, 1 minute (it will be very thick).
- 7Stir in broth, water, salt, bell peppers, bacon and beef and bring to a boil, stirring.
- 8Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes.
- 9Add potatoes to soup and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 30 minutes.
- 10Season to taste.
- 11Serve over buttered noodles or as a soup.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Goulash
Serving Size: 1 (535 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 525.3
- Calories from Fat 286
- Total Fat 31.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 86.6 mg
- Sodium 713.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 27.5 g