Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork or 1 1⁄2 lbs beef, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sweet paprika or 1⁄4 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- In a cast iron Dutch oven, sauté onion in shortening.
- Add garlic; sauté until translucent.
- Add meat, onion, paprika, caraway seeds, salt and pepper.
- Brown well.
- Add 1/2 cup of the water; simmer, covered, until meat is tender, about 1 hour.
Hi Leslie. Thank you for posting this recipe. Unfortunately, I think there was an error in posting it - what happened to the other 1 1/2 cups of water? Where were you meant to add the flour? Did you mean to add tomato paste (sauce) to the recipe? I mixed 1/2 cup of cold water with the flour, then stirred in the rest of the water, added 2 tbsp of tomato paste and a beef stock cube ..... simmered for 3.5 hours and it was great- the beef was so tender it feel apart when shredded with a wooden spoon.