Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great recipe for homemade goulash. It is very easy to make and tastes great.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small bell pepper (diced)
- 1 (8 ounce) box macaroni noodles (cooked)
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can campbell's tomato soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- water, if needed
- Brown ground beef; drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir in mushrooms, green peppers, onion, paprika, salt, sugar, pepper & garlic salt.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato soup, cooked macaroni, and ground beef. Add a little water if needed. Sometimes the diced tomatoes don’t have enough juice.
- Cook 5 minutes on medium heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir often.
I doubled the recipe, added a bit more sugar, a little more garlic, but otherwise stayed true to the original. It just wasn't the consistency I like-I like it thicker, deeper flavor and the tomatoes less visible. So , after I made it in the skillet, I put it in the crock pot on low several hours. It was perfect! My husband added corn to his, my kids sprinkled mozzarella on theirs, but they all loved it.
This is like my mother made except she would add kidney beans to it. Still have co-workers laugh when I tell them it goulosh. They say hotdish.
This is old school goulash the one I remembered and hunted for....yum in a child's memory ...