Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Adapted from Completely Cheese.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash cayenne
- 4 cups hot milk
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, diced
- 2⁄3 cup green beans, broken into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄4 cups gouda cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Add the onion and celery and cook until they are softened but not browned, 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in flour and stir well.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and cayenne.
- Stir in 1/2 cup hot milk and blend well.
- Add remaining milk 1 cup at a time, stirring well.
- Add potatoes, carrots and beans.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until vegetables are cooked and soup has thickened, 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in cheese, stirring well until cheese is melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in parsley just before serving.