Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Gouda cheese and ricotta cheese together....yum! Don't shy away if you don't like ricotta...you really wouldn't know it's in there. For some extra flavor use smoked Gouda!
- 5 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 small white onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 4 ounces gouda cheese, shredded (can use smoked Gouda for a extra kick)
- 8 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon dried dill weed, double if using fresh
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly grease/spray a 13" x 9" baking dish; set aside.
- In a large pot, boil potato chunks and chopped onion in salted water until tender. Drain and return to empty pot.
- Add butter and milk and mash.
- Add Gouda, ricotta, dill weed, salt, pepper and garlic powder and continue to mash to desired consistency.
- Pour mashed mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Evenly drizzle the melted butter over top.
- Evenly sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 350°F, uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until just starting to lightly brown.
I really could eat this every day!! Fantastic mashed potatoes and I just looooove the gouda!!! I was going to use fresh dill for this, and I did, but I could only get 1/2 teaspoon as some stupid deer had found my herb garden and apparently deer like dill (as well as cilantro and parsely). Anyway I will definitely make this one again! Made for ZWT 7 - Count Dracula and his Hot Bites!
Very yummy casserole, creamy and cheesey yum! I used smoked gouda and also smoked paprika for the top, thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT 6 Queens of Quisine!
We loved these mashed potatoes. I forgot to get the Gouda at the grocery store. Fortunately we had some cheese left over from a wine tasting. We threw three r four semi-soft cheeses in the mashed potatoes and it was delicious. I might use more dill next time though.