Gouda cheese and ricotta cheese together....yum! Don't shy away if you don't like ricotta...you really wouldn't know it's in there. For some extra flavor use smoked Gouda!
- 5 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 small white onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 4 ounces gouda cheese, shredded (can use smoked Gouda for a extra kick)
- 8 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon dried dill weed, double if using fresh
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly grease/spray a 13" x 9" baking dish; set aside.
- In a large pot, boil potato chunks and chopped onion in salted water until tender. Drain and return to empty pot.
- Add butter and milk and mash.
- Add Gouda, ricotta, dill weed, salt, pepper and garlic powder and continue to mash to desired consistency.
- Pour mashed mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Evenly drizzle the melted butter over top.
- Evenly sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 350°F, uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until just starting to lightly brown.
I really could eat this every day!! Fantastic mashed potatoes and I just looooove the gouda!!! I was going to use fresh dill for this, and I did, but I could only get 1/2 teaspoon as some stupid deer had found my herb garden and apparently deer like dill (as well as cilantro and parsely). Anyway I will definitely make this one again! Made for ZWT 7 - Count Dracula and his Hot Bites!
Very yummy casserole, creamy and cheesey yum! I used smoked gouda and also smoked paprika for the top, thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT 6 Queens of Quisine!
We loved these mashed potatoes. I forgot to get the Gouda at the grocery store. Fortunately we had some cheese left over from a wine tasting. We threw three r four semi-soft cheeses in the mashed potatoes and it was delicious. I might use more dill next time though.