1/1 Photo of Gotta Be the Best Low Fat Mushroom Sauce Ever!!
Chef #542562's Note:
This sauce is so simple and tastes absolutely divine! It can be used in so many ways! I stumbled over it when I didn't have the ingredients I wanted in the kitchen and thought I would be adventurous. Well good on me!!! This is a definite regular in our house over a big fat T-bone with chips and salad but we also have it with chicken and mashed potatoes. I truly love making this sauce because you really can't go wrong! The only wrong thing you can do...is not try it!!! It is LOW FAT too!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1This sauce is really quick and only takes about 5 minutes to make once everything is prepared!
- 2White mushrooms are fine to use if you don't have Portabelo and you can chop them or slice them - whatever you prefer.
- 3Put the oil or butter in a medium sized fry pan with the mushrooms and cook them on a medium heat until they start to soften slightly. Add 3/4 can of evaporated milk and the tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and keep it at a medium heat.
- 4While the mushrooms are cooking in the milk (this won't take long!) quickly mix a little of the milk with the cornflour to form a paste. Add this to the sauce and keep stirring and it will start to thicken. Don't be afraid to bring it to the boil, it won't go funny.
- 5This is where it is up to you how thick you want the sauce! If it becomes too thick just add more Evaporated Milk till you get the desired consistency. If it is not thick enough just make up some more cornflour paste and add it a little at a time until it is just right. You really can't fail to get it the way you want. The best advice I can give is don't have the pan too hot and make sure you keep stirring!
- 6Also taste it before you add any salt and pepper as the Balsamic gives it such a nice flavour you don't want to overpower the sauce with too much salt and pepper. If it doesn't have enough flavour, add another dash of Balsamic Vinegar. It really is that simple!
- 7Pour it over steak and chips or any meat that takes your fancy! Or you can cook up some cubed chicken breast and add them to the sauce and serve with mashed potatoes and greens for a healthy delicious meal! This recipe can easily be doubled.
- 8One tip to give it your sauce more flavour is after you have cooked your steaks use the same pan and leave the juice. It saves on washing and adds that richness. Get saucy!
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gotta Be the Best Low Fat Mushroom Sauce Ever!!
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 67.1
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 24.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
evaporated low-fat milk