Cook2 hrs 10 mins
This is a lamb curry that is sure to warm you up from the inside, by the look of the ingredients. I am yet to make it myself.
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 1⁄2 kg lamb
- 2 large onions
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger (I used the fresh ginger in the jar)
- 2 small red chilies, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 (400 g) cans crushed tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan, add a third of the lamb and cook over high heat 4 minutes. Repeat with the remaining lamb adding two more tablespoons of oil. Remove the lamb.
- Heat remaining oil in pan. Add onion, cook over medium heat 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger and chilli.
- cook 2 minutes, then add the spices, cook further 3 mins, or until fragrant.
- Add tomatoe, tomatoe paste the lamb 1 teaspoon salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring ocassionly.
- Uncover and increase heat and cook 10 mins to allow the sauce the reduce and thicken.