Recipe by GrammaJeanne
When my mother served this cake to us, I was amazed at the moistness and flavor. I never would have guessed that I was actually eating my vegetables! You can't even tell there are beets in it (their flavor cooks right out), but it's oh, so good. It's like the mystery fruit cake that no-one can quite identify. Give it a try - you won't be sorry!
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups shredded fresh beets
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat together eggs, sugar and oil until fluffy.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt & cinnamon in large bowl.
- Add egg mixture & stir well to blend.
- Add vanilla, beets & walnuts. Beat together 1 minute.
- Pour into a greased and dusted 9x13 pan (works well in a bundt pan also).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes. Cool.
- Serve with almond sauce on the side and drizzled over each serving, or dust with powdered sugar.
- For almond sauce:
- Blend together cream cheese, whipping cream & almond extract with mixer until fluffy. Blend in powdered sugar. Spoon onto cake or serve on the side.