Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A mixture of Gorgonzola (or blue) cheese and marinara--gives a very rich and sharp taste to the basic marinara. Many, many thanks for the recipe from Jen K.!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1 cup canned diced tomato
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 3 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce
- 4 ounces butter
- 4 ounces gorgonzola
- Sauté the onions in oil until soft.
- Add garlic, tomatoes and basil and cook until tomatoes are cooked and it is all blended together 10-20 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and heat to a boil.
- Mix butter and cheese together and stir in until melted and blended.
If you love the taste of gorgonzola cheese and prefer a tomato base versus a cream base sauce, you will love this recipe. I had one 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes and used three 8 oz cans of tomato sauce. I used margarine and I think butter would result in a creamier taste. I also used 5 oz of gorgonzola instead of 4 oz and the aged cheese left a really strong after taste. I love the recipe concept but you really need to adjust it to your own palate.
Hei, we donÂ´t have canned tomato soup so I used tomato juice. It worked fine. I also used cream cheese instead of butter. The sauce was wonderfull. Thank you
This was very good. However, if you want a stronger Gorgonzola flavor, like I did, use more cheese or less tomato sauce. Also, I think the amount of butter was about twice what was necessary to get the cheese mixture creamy.