Prep 25 mins
Cook 48 hrs
The most decadent take on garlic bread I've ever come across. Appeared in Gourmet, December 1998 A recipe from Callahan's Cafe Zelda, Newport RI
- Garlic Oil:.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Wrap garlic head in foil and roast in middle of oven until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Carefully unwrap garlic and cool.
- Horizontally halve garlic head and arrange, cut sides down, in a small bowl with oil.
- Let mixture stand, covered and chilled, 2 to 3 days to infuse oil with garlic flavor.
- Preheat broiler.
- In a saucepan boil cream, stirring occasionally, until reduced to about 1/2 cup.
- Add Gorgonzola and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese melts and sauce is smooth.
- Remove pan from heat and keep sauce warm, covered.
- Horizontally halve baguette and arrange, cut sides up, on a baking sheet.
- Broil bread 2 to 3 inches from heat until golden. (If crust is soft, you may broil crust side of baguette as well.)
- Brush cut sides of baguette with garlic oil and season with salt.
- Cut baguette crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices.
- Pour warm Gorgonzola sauce onto center of a large plate and arrange roasted garlic bread slices around sauce.
Love garlic AND blue cheese and, well, let's just say that a first date after one bite would be a very bad idea, indeed.
Wow! Is this rich! I could have made a meal out of this, it was that good. Good quality bread is essential, though. I used a sesame-seeded Italian bastone fresh from the baker. Before dipping the bread in the gorgonzola sauce, I tasted it and the garlic-flavored oil really shines through. I will definitely be making this again! Thanks for sharing this first-class recipe. Made for Fall PAC 2012.
Simply blew us all away. Absolutely fabulous!!