Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Awesome and easy dinner. I got this recipe from www.foodnetwork.com, courtesy of Rachael Ray. I like to serve this with garlic, spinach mashed potatoes. You can also use all beef if you prefer.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground veal
- 1 lb ground beef
- salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 handfuls grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 handfuls plain breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons chopped sage leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces gorgonzola
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place meat in a mixing bowl and season with salt, pepper, add in garlic, eggs, cheese, bread crumbs and sage. Mix meat, roll into 8 large balls and arrange in a baking dish. Coat balls with 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Using the end of a wooden spoon, make an indentation half way into each ball and fill the cavity with some Gorgonzola. Bake until golden and cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and butter in a sauce pot over medium heat, add bay and onions and season with salt and pepper. Add chicken stock and tomatoes and heat through, stir in cream, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer to thicken slightly 8 to 10 minutes.
- Ladle sauce into shallow bowls and top with big stuffed meatballs and potatoes alongside, if desired.