Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is from Sunset Magazine. They added gorgonzola cheese instead of the classic cheese sauce. This can be made a day ahead and kept in fridge until ready to bake.
- 3 lbs broccoli
- 1⁄4 cup butter, plus
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled gorgonzola or 1⁄2 cup other blue cheese
- 2 cups French bread or 2 cups other firm white bread, 1/2 inch cubes
- In a 5 to 6 quart pan over high heat, bring about 3 quarts water to boil.
- Rinse broccoli and trip off the discard tough stem ends.
- Cut into one inch pieces.
- Boil Broccoli until barely tender, 3-5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Rinse and dry pan.
- Add 1/4 cup of butter and melt over med.
- Stir in flour unti smoothly blended.
- Cook until bubbly, about 1 minute.
- Add milk and stir over medium high heat until mixture is boiling and thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Add cream cheese an gorgonzola; whisk unti smoothly blended, stir in broccoli.
- Pour into a small casserole dish (2 1/2 3 qt).
- In a blender or food processor, whirl bread cubes into coarse crumbs; you should have about 1 1/3 cups.
- In a small bowl mix the bread with the melted butter (1 tablespoon).
- Sprinkle evenly over broccoli mixture.
- Bake at 350 until it's hot in the center and crumbs are golden, 20 to 30 minutes.
This is an awesome dish. My grandma served this at Thanksgiving and I had to find this recipe for myself. I've made it twice, the first time I over cooked the broccoli and it ruined the flavor. The second time, my husband helped me and he ended up not using all of the broccoli (I think he only used 1 1/2 - 2 lbs of it) and it got rave reviews from my family.
Excellent side. We were served this at a dinner party and was a big hit. Had to find the recipe.