1/10 Photos of Gorgeous Little Butterfly Cakes or Fairy Cakes!
French Tart's Note:
An absolute must for ANY children's party or even dare I say, adult parties too......weddings, girls night's in, showers, pajama parties & sleep overs, retro buffets, etc. My Mum showed me how to make these--the recipe is an original Be-Ro standard Victoria Sponge mix--very easy to multiply or reduce. I have given a modest amount here for 12-18 butterfly or fairy cakes, depending on what size paper case you use. Expect these to FLY off the plate--sorry, I could not resist the pun!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces butter or 4 ounces margarine, softened
- 4 ounces caster sugar
- 4 ounces self raising flour
- 2 medium free range eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- icing sugar
- colored crystal sugar
- crystallised rose petal
- lavender flowers
- 1Preheat oven to 190° C or 375°F.
- 2Have ready between 12 -18 paper cases depending on size. Small pie or cake tins will take standard paper cases. These cakes SHOULD be small and dainty and NOT standard "muffin" size. (However, you can make them bigger and adjust the cooking time by 5 minutes.).
- 3Cream butter or margarine with sugar until light, fluffy and pale in colour. By hand is best but a hand whisk is fine too!
- 4Beat the eggs and add them bit by bit with spoons of sifted flour. Bit by bit ensures the mixture does not curdle.
- 5Gently fold in an any flour left over when the egg is used up.
- 6Add the vanilla or any other flavourings desired - lemon and orange is good too! If the mixture is a little too stiff add a little milk or juice of orange/lemon.
- 7Half fill the paper cases with the mixture and bake for about 15 minutes until risen and firm but NOT too dark.
- 8Cool cakes and then cut a slice from the top of each cake and cut this in half.
- 9Place a little butter icing of your choice on the top of each cake and arrange the "wings" around the icing - round edge facing the outside and the cut edge to the inside and angled towards the bottom - like BUTTERFLY or FAIRY wings! Dust with extra icing sugar and watch them fly away!
- 10If you want to add colouring to the vanilla cakes, pink is really good with pink icing too! I once sprinkled on crystallised rose petals for a Christening Party & I also used rose essence in the butter icing, very sophisticated!
- 11N.B. You can multiply this recipe very easily, e.g: 6 ozs of butter, flour & sugar to 3 eggs; 8 ozs of butter, flour and sugar to 4 eggs & so on! It also makes VERY good big Victoria Sponge cakes - just slice and fill with a filling of your choice -- lemon curd, butter icing, fresh whipped cream & jam -- the list is endless!
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gorgeous Little Butterfly Cakes or Fairy Cakes!
Serving Size: 1 (40 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.8
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 57.7 mg
- Sodium 112.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 18.7 g
- Protein 2.0 g