Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Was using up bits & pieces in my larder yesterday and ended up making this SUPER YUMMY dish for dinner. Talk about delicious accidents! You could change this recipe up a hundred different ways, I reckon. Anyway, believe it or not, all the ingredients listed were leftovers / stuff kicking around that needed to be used up! This recipe will easily feed about 3 hungry people, and it's really inexpensive because very little meat is used (but it wasn't missed). Hope y'all give this a go!
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon lard or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced (optional)
- 1 large potato, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tomatoes, chopped roughly
- 1 cup stock, any kind
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup cooked chicken, diced
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (roughly chopped or crumbled)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups cooked spinach
- 1⁄2 cup sweet corn kernel (canned or frozen)
- black pepper
- frozen puff pastry
- Heat the fat and mix in flour to make a roux.
- Gradually add the stock and wine.
- Boil up onion, carrots, celery, tomato, potato, bay leaves and thyme in stock and wine until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in chicken, rice, corn and parmesan. You want the mixture to be slightly goopy.
- Season with salt and pepper and pour into a shallow baking dish.
- Spread the spinach over the mixture.
- Cover with puff pastry, tucking in pastry at the sides.
- Bake at 180C until pastry is golden, about 20 minutes.