Prep 45 mins
Cook 5 mins
I don't know who Gordon is, but I would love to thank him for a wonderful recipe. These can freeze for up to 3 months. Take what you need out and broil until bubbly. How much easier can it get?
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3⁄4 cup almonds, toasted, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, fried crisp, drained & chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 loaves sandwich bread
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Trim crusts. Cut into fours squares or triangles.
- Coat each square with some cheese mixture, making sure to cover the edges. Place on tray. Store triangles between wax paper.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- If using immediately, broil the toast sections until the cheese mixture is bubbly and golden, about 3 - 5 minutes. Serve hot.
- Frozen toast will require slightly longer under the broiler. There is no need to thaw them before broiling.
This is a wonderful appetizer. Great to make ahead and freeze for when guests arrive unexpectedly.
Very, very good. As this recipe made enough for two loaves, of toast, I made one for the freezer for future use and served the rest as a hot cheese dip served with crackers. it received rave reviews from my guests and there was none left. The frozen toasts will be ideal to pull out of the freezer a few at a time for impromptu appetizers. Thanks Abby. Thanks Gordon, whoever you are......