Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I saw the famously foul-mouthed chef do this on a live TV cook-a-long. It’s an easy curry to prepare, and big on flavour.
- peanut oil
- 1 large onion, peeled
- 1 -2 fresh green chile, depending on how hot you like it
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 10 dried curry leaves
- 4 -6 tablespoons natural yogurt
- fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large pan. Slice the onion and add to the pan. De-seed and chop the chilie, chop ginger and add to the pan. Crush the garlic and add to the pan; cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chili powder, turmeric, garam masala and sugar; cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and tinned tomatoes; stir and cook for a few minutes.
- Transfer sauce to a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Add 1 tbsp fresh oil into the pan in which you cooked the sauce and fry the chicken until lightly coloured. Pour the sauce back into the pan and add the curry leaves. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked.
- Stir in the yogurt (I swirl mine through it, rather than mix it in completely)with half of the chopped coriander and serve, garnishing with the remaining coriander.
This is really amazing! So easy to put together and the flavours are just fantastic. Do not omit the yoghurt at the end; it adds a nice creaminess to the dish. I used one seeded jalapeno pepper and the dish was quite hot (which is just fine by us, but the kids got some sandwiches instead :)) I did not have curry leaves but did not miss them. We will make this recipe again for sure. Served with basmati rice cooked in chicken broth with a bit of saffron threads. Thanks for sharing! Made for PRMR
Tried this even tho people said it was really tomatoey i disagree i made this whilst watching the gordon ramsey vid on youtube. He does everything except he sort of chars all of the ingredients before he puts the can of tomatoes. It comes out like a black matted paste. Try looking at his massala sauce recipe on youtube first gives you a good idea of what it should look like during the different stages of cooking.
This has a very strong tomato taste to it. I was craving the Indian food of Britain, and this doesn't taste anything like what I was hoping for. It was still good, which is why it got 3 stars instead of 1, but it wasn't what I was craving.