Recipe by mamaDlicious
Meatball from F word Kitchen Challenge
Top Review by cms141
Made this recipe almost exactly as called for with the exception of using regular parsley since I couldn't get flat leaf. I also finely chopped the garlic cloves for the marinara. Other than that, I didn't change anything. They were delicious. Made enough to have leftovers and they were even better. Had them with rice the first time, then over rigatoni noodles. Highly recommend this recipe. I can't wait to make them again.
- 200 g minced beef
- 200 g ground pork
- 1⁄2 bunch flat leaf parsley
- 1 splash white wine
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fine breadcrumbs
- milk, enough to cover breadcrumbs
- plain flour
For the marinara
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1⁄2 red chili, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons pitted green olives, drained
- 1 small bunch basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Soak the breadcrumbs in the milk.
- Lightly fry the shallots, garlic and chilli for 2-3 minutes until soft. Deglaze the pan with a splash of white wine. Add the tomatoes along with the basil, oregano and finally the olives. Simmer to reduce (this should take 5-10 mins).
- While the tomato sauce is cooking, make up the meatballs: Into the mince add the parsley, parmesan, garlic and add soaked breadcrumbs, mix well. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Shape into walnut sized balls and lightly coat the meatballs in the flour and fry in hot olive oil until golden. Add the meatballs to the tomato sauce and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Serve with basmati rice.