Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from the Hell's Kitchen Game.
Make and share this Gordon Ramsay’s Roasted Tomato Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 plum tomatoes, halved
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 bunches basil
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the tomatoes, onion and garlic in a mixing bowl and season with olive oil, salt and pepper. Lay out on a baking tray and sprinkle with the thyme, basil and sugar. Roast in the oven at 425 degrees until caramelized.
- Pour the tomatoes into a blender and puree. While the blender is running, ladle in hot stock to smooth the soup. You may not use all of the stock. Chicken Stock may be subsitituted for vegetable stock.
- For garnish, heat 2 tbsp olive oil, lightly sauté 4 small clusters of cherry tomatos on the vine. Serve on top of the soup with 4 basil leaves, thinly sliced.
This summer my garden Romas only grew to the size of a grape tomato =( .Still, I was getting them by the bucketful so I made this soup. It's very good, though I agree it needed more salt at the end. The roasted veggies gave the soup a wonderful richness. I estimated the amount of tomatoes to be around 2 pounds. Thanks for posting this recipe!
The end result was pretty tasty, although the directions were not so clear. I didn't know how long to expect the tomatoes the carmelize, but 30 minutes seemed to do the trick. I let them cool off before putting in the blender, because that can be dangerous with hot food! I used 2 cups of chicken stock, which seemed to being it to the right consistency, and sauteed grape tomatoes for the garnish. I ended up adding more salt before I served it. All in all, I was pleased with the result. Made for Spring PAC 2010.