Chef #928625's Note:
Even though some would consider gorditas a snack food,these are very rich,especially if served with salsa negra,and make a very satisfying meal.These are good topped with a fried egg,tooThis is a recipe that's best made with friends-someone else can press out the disks while you fry them saving a lot of trouble.It's a little trickier ,but you can still make these if you are cooking alone(I did).The gorditas and salsa negra are Rick Bayless recipes,the additional garnishes my own touch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 2 avocado leaves
- 2 cups fresh corn masa for tortillas or 1 1/3 cups masa harina mixed with 1 cup hot water
- salt, to taste
- oil, for frying
- 1Toast the avocado leaf by holding them over a hot burner with tongs and turning until toasty.
- 2Puree beans and avocado leaf with enough liquid from the beans to make a smooth puree.
- 3Add puree to the masa and add salt to taste.Mix well.It should be thick enough to form in you hand but still wet and pliable.
- 4Form the dough into 24 balls.Using a tortilla press lined with wax paper or plastic press the balls into disks about 1/8 inch thick and 4 inches diameter.
- 5Pour oil 1/2 inch deep in a deep frying pan and heat over medium high(oil should be about 375 f).
- 6Carefully fry one gordita into the hot oil and using a spoon,bathe the top of the gordita with hot oil.The gordita should begin to puff.After 30 seconds,flip the gordita and fry for 15-20 seconds more.remove to a paper towel lined plate and keep warm.
- 7Repeat with the remaining dough.Do not fry too many gorditas at once about 2 or 3 at a time is enough.
- 8Serve topped with salsa negra,thinly sliced radishes,crumbled cheese,and pickled red onions.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gorditas Infladas (Fried Puffy Black Bean Gorditas)
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 61.8
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 520.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pickled red onions