Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs 20 mins
This is a Sure-Jell recipe, posted by request.
Make and share this Gooseberry Jelly (Sure-Jell) recipe from Food.com.
- Crush gooseberries thoroughly, one layer at a time, or grind them. Place in saucepan; add water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minute.
- Place three layers of damp cheesecloth or a jelly bag in large bowl. Pour prepared fruit into cheesecloth. Tie cheesecloth closed; hang and let drip into bowl until dripping stops. Press gently.
- Measure exactly 5-1/2 cups juice into 6- or 8-qt. saucepot.
- Stire pectin into juice in saucepot. Add butter to reduce foaming.
- Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly.
- Stir in sugar.
- Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 min., stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
- Ladle immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops.
- Wipe jar rims and threads; cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
I only had 1 lb of wild berries, so I was worried that cutting the portions of the ingredients would cause it to not set, but the little bit of extra sugar apparently did the trick. It came out with a wonderful flavor, with just a hint of tartness. Great recipe!