Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Note: Can keep for up to two months.
- 500 g gooseberries, dehusked
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 150 ml malt vinegar
- 225 g brown sugar
- 3 cardamom pods, seeded and pounded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove, freshly ground
- 100 g raisins, seedless
- Cook gooseberries, apple, onion and vinegar until mushy.
- Stir in sugar and, when dissolved, add the remaining ingredients and cook until thick.
- Ladle into hot, sterilized jars and seal while still hot.
- Store in a cool, dark place.
Great taste! I will certainly cook it again but with less clove as its taste is a bit overbearing. I would also add some pectine to thicken the juices. It's a good idea to conserve it by using steriliztion methods.