Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 20 mins
Love it. Wished I had more gooseberries. As soon as I will get gooseberries I will make this jam again. For this jam I use Dr. Oetker's super gelling sugar 1:3. With this gelling sugar you only need 1/3 of the fruit weight to make the jam.
- Clean red gooseberries and cut in half.
- Put in a suited pot and add the sugar. Let stand for 2 hours.
- Towards the end: open the cardamom pods and put the seeds into a mortar. Ground the seeds with a pistel. Set aside for the moment.
- Bring gooseberry mixture to a boil over medium high heat stirring frequently. Cook for 4 minutes strirring all the time.
- Remove from heat and add lime juice, vanilla extract and grounded cardamom seeds. Mix.
- If you like you can mash now the gooseberries as you would like them to appear in your jam.
- Fill into twist off preserving jars and close jars. Let stand for 1 minute and then turn up side down. Let stand for 10 minutes and turn over again. Let cool completely.
- NOTE on "Dr. Oetker's Super Gelling Sugar 3:1". Dr. Oetker is a well known brand in Germany. There are several gelling sugars available. The "3:1" super gelling sugar already contains pectin and you only need 1/3 of sugar. If you can't get it, you could also use Dr. Oetker's 2:1 super gelling sugar (the use 300 g sugar). Follow the instructions on the package.
I like this recipe for my bread. Especially because of the color. I think it's a good idea to try it.