1/1 Photo of GOOSE - ROAST PORT GLAZED GOOSE with TAWNY PORT GRAVY
4 hrs 25 mins
3 hrs 45 mins
Alan Leonetti's Note:
This makes a delicious goose!!! It was originally a recipe from Emeril Lagasse, in which I added the tarragon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 domestic goose (about 10 lbs.)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon tarragon
- 3 cups ruby port
FOR THE GRAVY
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Combine 1/2 cup of the onions, celery, bell pepper, 1 teaspoon of the salt& 1/4 teaspoon of the cayenne in a mixing bowl.
- 3Remove the neck& giblets& set aside.
- 4Remove any excess fat around the opening of the cavity of the goose.
- 5Prick other fatty areas with a fork at intervals.
- 6Do not prick the breast.
- 7Stuff the cavity of the goose with vegetable mixture.
- 8Season the outside of the goose with the remaining teaspoon of salt, black pepper, garlic powder& tarragon.
- 9Place the goose in a large roasting pan& roast in oven, uncovered, for 1 hour& 45 minutes, or until drumsticks& thighs are easy to remove.
- 10Combine the remaining 1/2 cup of onion, carrots, bay leaves& port wine in a medium size sauce pan over medium heat& bring to a boil.
- 11Continue cooking over medium heat until the mixture thickens& reduces to about 1/2 cup, about 30 minutes.
- 12Strain through a fine mesh strainer& allow to cool.
- 13Using a pastry brush, glaze the goose with the port wine reduction,& return to the oven for 5 minutes to allow the glaze to caramelize& set.
- 14Remove from the oven& allow to rest for 20 minutes before carving.
- 15Serve with the Port Gravy.
- 16FOR THE TAWNY PORT GRAVY: In a large sauce pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- 17Add the giblets& neck,& brown, stirring, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 18Add the onions, celery, carrots, salt, pepper, bay leaves& thyme& cook, stirring often, for 3 to 4 minutes.
- 19Add the flour& stir to combine.
- 20Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- 21Add the wine, bring to a boil,& cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- 22Add the water& bring to a boil.
- 23Reduce heat to medium& simmer for about 1 hour.
- 24Remove from the heat& strain into a clean container& keep warm until ready to serve.
- 25This yields about 2 cups of gravy.
Browse Our Top Goose Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Goose Recipes
Nutritional Facts for GOOSE - ROAST PORT GLAZED GOOSE with TAWNY PORT GRAVY
Serving Size: 1 (617 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1730.9
- Calories from Fat 786
- Total Fat 87.3 g
- Saturated Fat 26.9 g
- Cholesterol 352.1 mg
- Sodium 2075.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 27.3 g
- Protein 99.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: