Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
An heirloom, butchering time recipe from the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Chilling time not included in preparation time.
- Clean, scald and strip feet.
- Cover with water, add salt and cook until bones fall apart (about 2 hours), adding water as it evaporates to keep original amount.
- Strain and poil liquor down to half its volume.
- In another pot, combine onion, garlic, salt, pepper and water and cook 15 minutes.
- Add livers and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, adding more water tokeep livers covered.
- Grind livers with onion and garlic, using a little of the liver liquor to rinse the grinder and adding it to the ground livers.
- Half-fill small molds with liver mixture and fill to the top with the stock from the feet.
- **Variation: a thin slice of lemon may be floated on top of the gelatin.