Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
An heirloom, butchering time recipe from the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Chilling time not included in preparation time.
- Clean, scald and strip feet.
- Cover with water, add salt and cook until bones fall apart (about 2 hours), adding water as it evaporates to keep original amount.
- Strain and poil liquor down to half its volume.
- In another pot, combine onion, garlic, salt, pepper and water and cook 15 minutes.
- Add livers and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, adding more water tokeep livers covered.
- Grind livers with onion and garlic, using a little of the liver liquor to rinse the grinder and adding it to the ground livers.
- Half-fill small molds with liver mixture and fill to the top with the stock from the feet.
- **Variation: a thin slice of lemon may be floated on top of the gelatin.