Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
May be served in half pineapple after removing the pulp instead of the cantaloupe. Just dice up the cantaloupe and serve in the pineapple boat. Does not include chill time.
- 1 cantaloupe
- 3 bananas
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 tangerines
- 1 papaya
- 2 mangoes
- 1 1⁄2 ounces sugar
- 1 tablespoon pineapple rum
- 12 ounces strawberries
- 8 cherries, pitted
- Slash the cataloupe down the section lines, but do not cut as far as the base. Carefully open like a flower and scoop out the seeds and some of the flesh. Drain off the juice and preserve in a small bowl. Chill the cantaloupe and juice for 1 hour.
- Peel the bananas, slice and dip into the lime juice. Peel the tangerines, cut into segments and remove the seeds. Cut the papaya in half, remove the seeds and dice the flesh. Peel the mongoes; cut the flesh off the seeds and slice, preserving the juice.
- Strain the melon juce; mix with the sugar, adding the rum and blending well. Set a few strawberries aside for decoration. Mix all of the fruits together with juices and chill.
- Just before serving, fill the cantaloupe wth some of the furit salad, place onto a serving platter and arrange the remaining fruit around the base decorating with the strawberries.
I actually doubled this recipe & made half with the rum & half without for the mixed company I had over the weekend (AAers along with boozers!) & both proved a big hit! I tried both & must say that I liked the one without the rum, but then that probably kills the whole idea of the salad, so . . . I always like fruit salads & have my own combo that I like, but the fusion of flavors here is exceptionally enjoyable! Thanks for sharing a great recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]