Recipe by Punky Julster
This is a Christmas time or anytime favorite in our family. The recipe has been passed to me and we have been making these for 40 years in our family! If you are going to give them as gifts, place wax paper between the stacks of balls. This recipe will make about 100 balls depending on the size you make them.
- 1 can Eagle Brand Condensed Milk
- 2 (16 ounce) boxes powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup of imperial margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter (Imperial has less water in it)
- 1⁄2 piece paraffin wax
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups ground pecans
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 (12 ounce) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix Eagle Brand milk, sugar, and butter by hand (it's too thick for a mixer).
- Add nuts, vanilla, and coconut and mix well.
- Shape into 1 in.
- balls and place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet.
- Chill balls until firm.
- Melt parafin in a double boiler.
- Add chips and stir until melted.
- Be careful not to get any water in the chocolate or it will seize.
- Dip balls with the help of a toothpick into the chocolate/parafin mixture.
- Put back on the cookie sheet and using the toothpick, cover the hole on the top of the ball with a drop of chocolate.
- After all the balls are dipped, put back in the refrigerator to chill.
- Store in a cool dry place in an air tight container.