1/4 Photos of Gooey Philadelphia German Butter Cake (Butterkuchen)
2 hrs 30 mins
Kathy at Food.com's Note:
This is great breakfast cake. The topping should be gooey. Cherry pie filling can be added as a topping for variety.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter flavor shortening or 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm milk (105-115 degrees F)
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1Mix sugar, shortening, and salt in a bowl.
- 2Add egg, and beat together for 1 minute.
- 3Dissolve yeast in warm milk.
- 4To egg/sugar mixture, add flour, then yeast mixture and vanilla, beating about 3 minutes (with dough hook or by hand).
- 5Turn dough onto lightly floured board and knead 1 minute.
- 6Place in a lightly greased bowl, cover with a towel and let stand in a warm place to rise 1 hour or until double.
- 7Make Topping: Cream butter in a mixer.
- 8Mix together flour and sugar; gradually beat into butter.
- 9Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 10Add vanilla.
- 11Gradually add just enough milk to bring mixture to an easy spreading consistency, being careful not to make it too runny. Set aside until dough is doubled and ready for use.
- 12When dough is doubled, punch it down and divide in two sections.
- 13Roll or pat halves into bottom of two well-greased 8" square pans (or a 13x9 pan).
- 14Crimp edges halfway up sides to hold topping. Prick dough with a fork to reduce bubbling.
- 15Spread topping evenly over dough. Let stand 20 minutes. Heat oven to 375°F.
- 16Bake 30 minutes for 13x9 or 20 minutes for 8x8 or until top is just golden and crusty, but still gooey.
- 17DO NOT OVERBAKE!
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gooey Philadelphia German Butter Cake (Butterkuchen)
Serving Size: 1 (91 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 347.4
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 69.7 mg
- Sodium 58.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 28.2 g
- Protein 4.3 g