Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook3 hrs 35 mins
This recipe was a winner in the "Great Chocolate Dessert Contest". I have not made this one yet.....I need a tart pan. "It is great served at room temperature, or for a real treat, slice and reheat in microwave for 10-15 secs." From Cooking Club of America. Cooking time includes the time needed to chill/rest.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut up
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 20 caramels
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- For Dough:.
- Place flour, sugar, cocoa, and baking powder in a large bowl and beat at low speed to blend.
- Add butter and beat 1 min or until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some pea-sized pieces.
- Add 1 egg and beat for 30 sec or until dough just begins to form.
- Form dough into a flat round; wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- On a floured surface, knead dough to soften slightly.
- Roll dough into a 12-inch round 1/8-inch thick; place in a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Run a rolling pin over the top of the pan to trim the dough. Refrigerate for 20 minute.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350ºF.
- Line crust with foil and fill with pie weights or dry beans.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to set.
- Remove foil and weights and cool on a wire rack while preparing the filling.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325ºF.
- Sprinkle hazelnuts over the crust.
- Place caramels and 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk in a small saucepan and heat over medium low heat until melted and smooth, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon over the nuts and crust.
- In a medium bowl, stir together remaining sweetened condensed milk, 1 egg, and melted butter.
- Add melted chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Pour this mixture over the caramel.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until top is dry and center is set.
- Cool on a wire rack 30 minutes and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.