1/1 Photo of Gooey Chocolate Chip Sandwich Bars
Realtor by day, Chef by night's Note:
I found this recipe in a book from www.cookiesforcancerkids.org "the best bake sale cookbook" by Gretchen Holt-Witt. They are absolutely amazing. Beware- these are not for dieters. They're rich and chocolatey. YUMMMMMMY!!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
GOOEY CHOCOLATE FILLING
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- one 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats (quick-cooking or old-fashioned)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a 9x13-inch pan with parchment paper, allowing enough overhang on the long side to lift the bars from the pan.
- 2Prepare the gooey chocolate filling: Place the chocolate chips and condensed milk in a small saucepan over the lowest possible heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the chocolate has melted and the mixture has thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, add vanilla, and stir until smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- 3Prepare the cookie dough: Place the butter and sugars in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Beat well. Whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Add to the butter mixture. Beat until everything is well incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- 4Prepare the bars: Using half of the batch of cookie dough, place dollops into the prepared pan and press down lightly to even it out. Pour the cooled chocolate mixture over the dough and then add small dollops of the remaining dough on top. Don't worry if the dollops don't completely cover the chocolate mixture. Just spread it together as much as you can, and let some chocolate peek through.
- 5Bake until lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Set aside to cool completely, then cut into 32 bars.
- 6These are easiest to cut when they have chilled for a while. You'll be able to get nice, clean cuts when they're firmer, then they'll soften up a bit when they're at room temperature again.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gooey Chocolate Chip Sandwich Bars
Serving Size: 1 (56 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 32
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 259.0
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 26.8 mg
- Sodium 113.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 24.2 g
- Protein 2.5 g