Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Sinfully good Caramel Apple bars.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 4 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped peeled baking apples
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 ounce) package caramels
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- Crust: ( First 8 Ingredients )In a bowl cream butter, shortening and brown sugar until fluffy. Add flour, oats, salt and baking soda. Mix well. Stir in pecans if desired. Set aside 2 cups.
- Press remaining oat mixture into the bottom of a ungreased 13 in x 9 in baking pan.
- Filling: ( last 4 Ingedients )Toss apples with flour and spoon over crust.
- In a saucepan, melt the caramels and butter over low heat, Drizzle over apples. Top with the reserved oat mixture. bake at 400 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool before cutting into bars.