Recipe by Topher
Found these from Sugar Delirium. The caramel topping is rich and incredibly easy to make.
Top Review by Mark & Stacy
This was supposed to be delicious, but the caramel topping was so hard, that you couldn't bite it. The shortbread part was fine, but you had to cut a small piece and suck on it for a while before chewing. I wondered boiling the caramel for that long, since I've seen things get too hard that way, but it seems like nobody else had that problem. I did use lowfat condensed milk, so perhaps that was it. I think it would have been great had the caramel not been a threat to my teeth!
for the base
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 10 tablespoons cold butter
for the caramel
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Cover an 8×8 pan with foil. Grease foil.
- In a bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, combine the filling ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil and stir for 5 minutes. Pour over warm crust.
- Let cool completely (can put in the refrigerator to speed up process) then cut into squares.