3 hrs 20 mins
Schnookie Wookums's Note:
The gooey part kind of tastes like cookie dough. So good and gooey and rich. Great for dessert, snack, or a very indulgent breakfast. This can be made in 2 9-inch round pans, or one 10-inch springform pan.
My Private Note
9x9 inc ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 (5/8 ounce) compressed yeast cake (or substitute 1 envelope dry yeast)
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For gooey butter filling
- 1Prepare dough:.
- 2Thoroughly grease 2 9x9x2 in square pans.
- 3Dissolve yeast in warm milk; set aside.
- 4Mix sugar with shortening and salt.
- 5Add egg and beat with mixer 1 minute until well blended.
- 6Add flour, then milk-yeast mixture and vanilla to sugar mixture.
- 7Mix 3 minutes with mixer (use dough hook if possible).
- 8Turn dough on floured surface and knead for 1 minute.
- 9Put in lightly greased bowl, cover with towel and set in warm area to rise for 1 hour.
- 10Divide dough into 2 equal parts and place each in pan.
- 11Crimp dough halfway up sides, so gooey butter does not run underneath.
- 12Poke holes in dough with fork so it won't bubble when baking.
- 13Make gooey butter filling by:.
- 14Combining sugar, butter and salt.
- 15Add egg and corn syrup.
- 16Mix just enough to incorporate.
- 17Add flour, water and vanilla.
- 18Divide butter into two parts and spread over dough.
- 19Let cakes stand for 20 minutes.
- 20In the meantime preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 21Bake 20 minutes, but DO NOT overbake, or topping will not be gooey.
- 22Cool cakes completely, then sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.
- 23** If using 10-inch springform pan, it makes one cake. Let the cake cool and then release sides.
- 24**Serve at room temperature, but store in the fridge.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gooey Butter Cake
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 762.2
- Calories from Fat 512
- Total Fat 56.9 g
- Saturated Fat 18.2 g
- Cholesterol 48.7 mg
- Sodium 146.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 32.0 g
- Protein 4.5 g