Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an old Philadelphia bakery recipe, that I have eaten more times than I would like to think about. I have never made it before, but one of my resident's daughter made this cake and I begged for the recipe and here it is.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine 1 cup flour and 3 tablespoons sugar.
- Cut in 1/3 cup butter until it becomes fine crumbs.
- Pat evenly into bottom of an ungreased 9 x 9 pan.
- Filling: cream sugar and butter.
- Add corn syrup and egg until just combined.
- Stir in 1 cup flour with the evaporated milk alternately.
- Do not mix more that just necessary to mix ingredients together.
- (Yes, the batter is supposed to look curdled).
- Pour mixture over crust.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the cake is almost firm when you gently shake it.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Dust cake with sifted confectioners sugar before serving.
This was really good - great for squares too!