1 hr 15 mins
This cake is great for serving in the fall when you want something seasonal, but don't want to make the traditional apple pie. It has two layers to it, the top is very gooey, and the bottom although made with a cake mix is more like a thick crust. It can be served warm or at room temperature. I've never tried it cold.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 F.
- 2Set aside an ungreased 9" x 13" pan.
- 3Peel and slice the apples.
- 4Then toss them in a bowl with the lemon juice to keep them from turning brown.
- 5Set aside.
- 6Blend cake mix, 1 stick melted butter, and 1 egg in large mixing bowl for 2 minutes at low to medium.
- 7The batter should easily come together into a ball.
- 8Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to get as much as possible off the sides.
- 9Pat the batter evenly in the pan until it is fairly smooth, and bake in the oven for ten minutes to allow the batter to become firmer.
- 10While the first layer is baking, in the same bowl used for the batter, blend the cream cheese for 30 seconds at low to medium until fluffy.
- 11Add the last two eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and the other stick of melted butter.
- 12Beat on medium for 1 minute.
- 13Add sugar and beat 1 minute more.
- 14Add the apple slices to the cream cheese mixture.
- 15when the first layer has baked for 10 minutes, take it back out and spread the cream cheese mixture over the cake and bake another 35 to 40 minutes or until slightly browned like meringue.
- 16The cream cheese mixture will not solidify, hence the gooey part, so using a toothpick to check for doneness won't work.
- 17Let cool 30 minutes.
- 18Refrigerate leftovers.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gooey Butter Apple Cake
Serving Size: 1 (115 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 363.5
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 76.8 mg
- Sodium 313.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 34.7 g
- Protein 3.4 g