Recipe by Carol
One of the best apple cakes around. It is very moist, keeps well, and has the 'icing' baked on. The topping is like a thin layer of cheesecake and is good when baked on a carrot cake too.
Top Review by luvmybge
Great tasting cake.. but man oh man is it UGLY.. lol.. The sides baked up and kind of caved in over the topping. It reminds me of the earthquake cake. It doesn't look nice.. but it sure tasted good! It was moist and VERY rich. It's a 'keeper'.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup shredded apple (generous)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, toasted & chopped
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup oatmeal
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter, stir in sugar and eggs.
- Add flour and baking soda alternately with buttermilk, mixing well.
- Fold in apples, raisins, and pecans.
- Spread batter into well greased (or sprayed) 13 x 9 baking pan.
- Topping: Mix and put on cake BEFORE baking.
- Bake in a 350º oven for 45 minutes.