Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe came from Relish Mag and is so good!!
Make and share this Gooey Apple Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large tart apples, cored and chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat a 9-inch square pan with cooking spray.
- Cream 5 tablespoons butter and 1 cup sugar. Add egg and beat well. Stir in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, apples and walnuts. Batter will be stiff. Spoon into prepared pan; smooth top. Bake about 35 minutes.
- Combine remaining 3 tablespoons butter, 1⁄2 cup sugar, cornstarch and evaporated milk in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and vanilla. Pour over hot cake.
I made this last night and it was a big hit! I used a whole teaspoon of cinnamon and 3 granny smith apples peeled. I chopped them in large pieces. I didn't use the nuts but added about 1/3 cup of raisins. I served it warm with vanilla ice cream.
I had cooked some apples in a sugar/water syrup and didn'tknow waht to do with it so I made this cake. Yum! I took it to a church potluck and it was much enjoyed. Thanks!