Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mother came from a really small town in South Carolina where she learned some really incredible entrees. She used to make this one when I was a kid and I could never get enough. She lost the recipe for a decade or more but to my surprise it showed up recently. This is one of my all time top 5 recipes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups grits (not the instant kind)
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 3 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or more)
- 1⁄2 lb grated sharp cheddar cheese (the sharper the better)
- 3 large eggs, well beaten
- 1) Cook the grits in the water with the table salt, the seasoned salt, and the tabasco until thick.
- 2) Add the cheese, butter, and eggs and mix well.
- 3) Bake at 250 F for 1 hour.
- 4) Serve with cocktail weinies.