Recipe by Sherrybeth
My grandmother (Nee) made these for us every year the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I knew that if I didn't post the recipe here, I would lose it. Also, these have to be refrigerated for several hours before baking so take that into account when planning to bake these.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup small sized gumdrop, sliced (don't use the black ones or they will turn your cookies a funny color on top)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter, confectioners sugar, and vanilla.
- Beat in egg.
- Sift together flour, soda, cream of tartar, and salt; gradually stir into creamed mixture.
- Mix well.
- Shape dough into roll 2 inches in diameter and 12 inches long.
- Wrap in waxed paper.
- Chill 8 hours or overnight. Cut into slices 1/4-inch thick.
- Place on cookie sheet that has been well greased or lined with parchment paper. Topp each cookie with gumdrop slices.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven about 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool slightly before removing from the cookies from the pan.