Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A perennial favorite in our house, especially around the holidays. This is very simple to make and great for baked gifts
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (6 ounce) package butterscotch chips
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- Melt butter in a 13" x 9" x 2" pan.
- Sprinkle ingredients in layers in order given.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk over all.
- Back at 350F for about 30 minutes.
- Cool then cut into bars.
These are a no-fail, sure-fire hit in our house. I love goody bars. The recipe is so easy to follow, and my daughter loved helping me crush the graham crackers and pour in the ingredients. I put the butter in the casserole and let the oven do the melting. It's easy that way. I omitted coconut because 3/4 of my family hates it. I added peanut butter chips and used 1 c pecans and about 1/2 c walnuts (I had pecans to use up). I think 30 minutes ended up being just a bit too long for us. I think next time I'll check after 20 minutes. The condensed milk bubbled up and caramelized around the edges, and there was some difficulty getting the bars out because they stuck to the bottom. I think that's got to be baking too long since the bottom was coated in butter to begin with. Nevertheless, the taste is awesome. I had 3 bars before bed and can't wait for lunch to have more! Thanks for a simple, fun, family friendly recipe. Made for PAC 08.