Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 mins
Cook 9 hrs
From the Fit-it and Forget-it Diabetic Cookbook. This recipe was submitted by Amy Marlene Jensen of Fountain, Colorado. I made a few changes and will share them with you: used a 12 oz. bottle of beer; instead of allspice I uses some cinnamon and nutmeg; used a cup of frozen pepper strips (red, yellow and green); and I added cooked pasta just to heat it in the last 20 minutes before serving. I thickened the sauce a bit too with cornstarch in water.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs beef brisket, trimmed
- 1 (8 ounce) can beer
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped (or red)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Put meat in a slow cooker.
- Combine remaining ingredients and pour over the meat to cover.
- Cook on low heat for 8-10 hours.
- Remove meat and slice thin.
- Serve over couscous.
This was good! I didn't add have the balsamic vinegar or allspice as I had none on hand. We used all that wonderful broth to make hamburger stew the next day. We added a can of Veg-All, two potatoes and a pound of ground beef.