Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From Darlene Kossman.
Make and share this Good Swiss Steak recipe from Food.com.
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 lbs round steaks, 1-1/2 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- Mix together chili powder, flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and celery salt.
- Pound this mixture into steak that is 1-1/2 inch thick.
- Cook in a cast iron skillet with lid off, on top of stove, until brown.
- Put the canned tomatoes, sliced onion, and diced celery over the steak.
- Bake covered in a 300 degree Fahrenheit oven for 2-1/2 hours
- For the last 1/2 hour leave lid off.
Easy to make tasty dinner. I cut the steak into serving size pieces; placed the flour mixture in a plastic bag; shook the steak pieces in the mixture then pounded the flour mixture into the pieces. I preheated the cast iron skillet before adding the oil to cook the steak, and placed the browned steak in a roasting pan. In the same skillet, I added the tomatoes, onion, celery and added 1 teaspoon sugar, scraped up the browned bits and added the mixture to the roasting pan on top of the steak. I gently stirred the steak a couple of times during baking. Served with Microwave Mashed Potatoes and peas and carrots. Made for Please Review my Recipe.
We have always made Swiss steak this way with the only change from my recipe being the addition of celery, thanks so very much for posting an old family favorite.
Made as directed (I've always made Swiss Steak in the oven) and it turned out great. The flavor was excellent and the beef tender. This made a wonderful dinner served with mashed potato's and a green pea salad. :D