Prep 2 hrs
Cook 35 mins
This is an healthy sandwich loaf bread inspired by the famous Dave's Killer Bread of Portland, Oregon. It makes fantastic breakfast toast and sandwiches. You can slice it (once cooled) and freeze it.
- sprinkle the yeast on the warm water in the mixer bowl, feed it 1/2 of the sugar and let rest for 15 minutes.
- add 1/3 of the flour, the rest of the sugar and the oil to the water, whisk to incorporate and let rest for 30 minutes.
- add the cereal mix and pumpkin seed to the remaining flour, mix well.
- slowly add the rest of the flour with cereal and seeds to the mixing bowl on low speed.
- mix with a dough attachment for 10 minutes: five minutes on low speed and 5 medium-high.
- if the dough is too sticky, add some flour one tablespoon at the time - up to 1/3 cup - and keep mixing.
- transfer the dough to a bowl, cover and let rest for 2-3 hours: if the air temperature is low, put it in the oven with the light on (or in the microwave).
- transfer the dough to a working table flatten, fold three times (see pictures), shape in a roll of the size of the baking pan and roll over the seeds to coat. an optional egg wash would help the seeds to stick to it.
- transfer carefully to the baking pan and let rest for 30 minutes.
- preheat the oven to 420F and bake for 35 minutes.