Recipe by Wildflour
Yummy-n-Spicy! Tender and MOIST, why order out?
Top Review by LonghornMama
Great chicken! Moist and lots of flavor. I doubled the coating recipe for 10 drumsticks but that probably wasn't necessary, one batch would have been enough. Used Penzey's taco seasoning, but omitted the hot sauce. Was spicey but not too much for the kids. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 78.07 ml flour
- 35.43 g envelope taco seasoning mix, or homemade
- 1.23 ml seasoning salt (I use Johnnie's)
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 1.23 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 egg
- 14.79 ml milk
- 14.79 ml louisiana hot sauce, optional as well
- 6-8 chicken legs with thigh (coats 6-8 large chicken pieces) or 1 large broiler (coats 6-8 large chicken pieces) or 1 large broiler-fryer chicken, cut into chicken pieces (coats 6-8 large chicken pieces)
- 44.37-59.16 ml butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In two (doubled) brown paper lunch sacks, combine dry ingredients (first seven or *eight including the red pepper flakes); shake well to mix.
- In shallow bowl, beat eggs, milk and hot sauce.
- Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture, let excess drip off, then shake in bag of dry ingredients to coat.
- Set on plate or sheet as you go.
- Then after all are coated, shake each piece again in the flour mixture.
- Place bone sides down onto greased, foiled-lined shallow baking pan or sheet.
- Spray the chicken with butter-flavored vegetable spray after coating with flour mixture just before putting in the oven. Then bake for 15 minutes so it can “set”, then baste each piece well with melted butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350ºF for a total of 55-60 minutes or until done and juices run clear.
- (When I did leg-thigh quarters, they took exactly 59 minutes).
- If pieces are small, they will take less time, of course, so check.
- Don’t over bake it.
- Now kick back, have a beer, relax and don’t worry about it!
- It doesn’t stick or even need to be turned! (Don’t turn it BTW).
- Prepare the rest of your sides and…ENJOY!