Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Yummy-n-Spicy! Tender and MOIST, why order out?
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning mix, or homemade
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt (I use Johnnie's)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon louisiana hot sauce, optional as well
- 6 -8 chicken legs with thigh (coats 6-8 large chicken pieces) or 1 large broiler (coats 6-8 large chicken pieces) or 1 large broiler-fryer chicken, cut into chicken pieces (coats 6-8 large chicken pieces)
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- In two (doubled) brown paper lunch sacks, combine dry ingredients (first seven or *eight including the red pepper flakes); shake well to mix.
- In shallow bowl, beat eggs, milk and hot sauce.
- Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture, let excess drip off, then shake in bag of dry ingredients to coat.
- Set on plate or sheet as you go.
- Then after all are coated, shake each piece again in the flour mixture.
- Place bone sides down onto greased, foiled-lined shallow baking pan or sheet.
- Spray the chicken with butter-flavored vegetable spray after coating with flour mixture just before putting in the oven. Then bake for 15 minutes so it can “set”, then baste each piece well with melted butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350ºF for a total of 55-60 minutes or until done and juices run clear.
- (When I did leg-thigh quarters, they took exactly 59 minutes).
- If pieces are small, they will take less time, of course, so check.
- Don’t over bake it.
- Now kick back, have a beer, relax and don’t worry about it!
- It doesn’t stick or even need to be turned! (Don’t turn it BTW).
- Prepare the rest of your sides and…ENJOY!
Great chicken! Moist and lots of flavor. I doubled the coating recipe for 10 drumsticks but that probably wasn't necessary, one batch would have been enough. Used Penzey's taco seasoning, but omitted the hot sauce. Was spicey but not too much for the kids. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
My 9 year old's exact words were "it tastes so amazing words can't describe it". We all liked this a lot. Thanks Wildflour!
This was a big hit. Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside and with just the right amount of kick. A wonderful low maintenance (and clean up) recipe. Thank you.