Recipe by AKQ
This recipe is a great way to warm up on a cold day. The aroma is too much to resist. Serve with white rice and cornbread and you have a great meal.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 16 ounces chopped okra (frozen or fresh)
- 3 bell peppers, chopped or 16 ounces frozen bell peppers
- 3 bunches green onions, white part only
- 16 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb chicken thigh, skinned and browned
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled
- 2 1⁄2 cartons chicken stock
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Have all the vegetables chopped and ready before beginning the Gumbo.
- Dice half of the sausage.
- Cut rounds of the remaining sausage.
- In a heavy soup pot, combine flour and oil and optional bacon fat to form the roux.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the color of coffee.
- This will take 20 minutes or more.
- Do not walk away from the stove as the flour will burn and cause you to start again.
- Once the roux is finished, lower heat to medium low, and add all the chopped veggies except the okra.
- Cook stirring constantly until the veggies begin to sweat.
- The roux will absorb the sweat so watch carefully.
- Again, do not walk away.
- Once the veggies begin to sweat, add the tomato paste and stir until distributed.
- Add all the dry spices.
- Slowly add the chicken stock, stirring to avoid lumps.
- Add the chopped sausage and browned chicken.
- Cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked thru.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, and tear into bite sized pieces.
- Add the okra and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pot, and add remainder of the sausage.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt or pepper to taste.
- In the last few minutes before you are ready to eat, add the shrimp to the simmering gumbo, and cover.
- Heat for two minutes and then turn off heat.
- Allow to sit for another 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice.