Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Delicious comfort food, a taste from my childhood. I've used this recipe for years and my family loves it as much as I do. It's good enough for guests, too!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth (you can use milk)
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (I use seasoned)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, pork, beef broth, onion, 1-2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, bread crumbs, egg, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano.
- Don't overmix, but combine it well (hands work the best).
- Transfer meat to a shallow baking pan and shape into a loaf about 5 inches wide.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- While meatloaf is baking, combine ketchup, brown sugar and 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Pour or spoon over the meatloaf (after the 1 hour, 15 minute baking time). Bake for about 15 more minutes, until temperature reaches 160 degrees in the center of the meatloaf.
- Let meatloaf rest 5-10 minutes in baking pan, then remove to a serving platter.
- The drippings from the pan are obscene over mashed potatoes.
- I've made this with all the beef/pork combo, all beef and even buffalo and beef combined. It's always outrageous (we think). Also,it is better with the beef broth, rather than the milk.
This was delicious. My whole family gobbled it up! I am a picky meatloaf eater, but the sausage was a real hit with me. I think maybe too much ketchup for my taste, but other than that...just awesome.
DH enjoyed this meatloaf but sorry to say it was not a favorite for me. I think it needed a little more seasoning and the ketchup mixture was a bit to sweet for my taste. Will make this again for DH when he has a taste for meatloaf.