Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a 4th generation Chocolate cake. Handed down from mother to daughter over the years. It is very moist and Chocolatey.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup sour milk or 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 F, and grease a 9X13 cake pan.
- Cream Shortening and sugar together and add the two Beaten Eggs.
- In a seperate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients and add alternately to the Shortening mixture with the Sour Milk.
- Last, add the Vanilla and Boiling water and mix smooth. (will not take long).
- Pour this thin batter into the pan and bake for 45 minute.
- Cool and add your favorite butter icing.
This is the best cake I have ever made, could not stop eating it. so light in texture. and it kepts very well. I have long been on the search for my grandma's cake, as I recall this is it. Thank's so much Heli for the post.