Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Old-timey comfort food...
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread, torn in small pieces (any kind will do, but homemade or any dense bread is terrific)
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons cream
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- coconut (optional)
- chopped pecans (optional)
- Spray a 9" square (or whatever you have) baking pan with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Scald the milk in a large saucepan.
- Add the torn pieces of bread, and let stand a few minutes until bread is soft.
- Stir in remaining ingredients until well combined.
- Pour into baking dish and bake about 1 hour, or until knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Serve warm (preferred) or cold with hard sauce.
- To make Hard Sauce: Cream the butter, adding the sugar a little bit at a time.
- Stir in the cream and vanilla.
- If using nuts or coconut, add at this time.
- Serve on top of warm pudding.